James is a court-recognized expert who has given testimony in nearly 70 cases involving topics such as evidence preservation, documentation of events, and computer forensic methodologies and procedures. In addition to being an EnCase Certified Examiner (EnCE), James is certified by the International Association of Computer Investigative Specialists (IACIS) as a Certified Forensic Computer Examiner (CFCE).
James has trained hundreds of law enforcement officers, attorneys, and other examiners on computer forensics and high-technology related issues involving best practices and methodologies. He has 16 years law enforcement experience, has co-developed computer forensic courses for the California Department of Justice, and has been involved in high profile cases throughout his career.
James has extensive experience working on litigation and consulting matters in digital forensics, eDiscovery, and other high technology issues. His experience covers both the Windows and MAC OS platforms. He serves his clients through the litigation or consulting lifecycle by assisting them with important issues like data scoping, preserving, gathering, processing, hosting, review and production, as well as diving into deeper issues uncovered through the use of digital forensics.
James’ matters have varied widely and span across diverse areas such as misappropriation of trade secrets, intellectual property issues, contract disputes, fraud investigations, alleged hacking, and employment disputes, among others. He has served clients on the plaintiff side, the defendant side, and has served as a third party neutral on several occasions.
- More than 1,800 hours of formal training in computer forensics, including (but not limited to):
- SANS FOR500 – Windows Forensic Analysis
- Cellebrite CCPA and CCLO Mobile Device Course
- IACIS Certified Computer Forensic Examiner Course
- Guidance Software Intermediate Training
- National White-Collar Crime Center Data Recovery and Analysis
- California DOJ POST Advanced Computer Forensics
- Guidance Software Internet and E-mail Examination
- Guidance Software Advanced Training
- National White-Collar Crime Center Advanced Data Recovery Analysis
- California Department of Justice – Intermediate and Advanced Internet Investigations Courses
- Orange County Sheriff’s Department Internet Safety Course
- Guidance Software Internet and E-Mail Course
- HTCIA Designing a Computer Forensics Network
- HTCIA Network Evidence Preservation Methodologies